Friday, May 19, 2006

The Milkman...

























Do milkmen still exist? Not according to spell check.

I remember milk being delivered to my childhood home: the little refrigerated box by the back door, the glass bottles with the waxy paper caps, the buttermilk option (fat kids were healthy kids), the white trucks changing in design from year to year... And then, one day, no more milk. Suddenly, it came from the store. Around 1980 or '82 maybe? Probably the last time I had a glass of milk to drink. What I don't get is why not get it from the store in the first place? But I love that many of these old school personal services lingered on much longer than need be. It suggests that there could still be many such vestigial operations floating around our world just waiting to be called out and sent to the island of obsolete things.

Enjoy Deerhoof's bubblegummy "Milk Man" right here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Growing up in Canada I also remember the visit by the milkman, as well as the dry-cleaners truck, and my favourite - the knife sharpening van with his icecream van style jingle playing. But it all seemed to stop once the 80's arrived.

So when I moved to England in the mid-nineties I was thrilled to find that the concept of the milkman is alive and well. To this day I still love the sight of the dawn milkman making his silent deliveries in his electric powered open sided van. Though I did curse him the day that he took the corner in front of my house too fast and lost a dozen glass bottles over the edge of his van, crashing the 5.30am silence and turning the road white.

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home