Monday, January 19, 2009

Sunday's Fireball...



Did you see it? Sarah and I were riding our bikes at the beach at around 5:30 last night when I looked away from the sunset towards the mountains and saw an unbelievably huge meteor speeding downwards with a black trail of smoke behind it. I was waiting for an impact explosion, but nothing of the sort occurred. It appeared to be right overhead, though I've since learned it was actually 50+ miles up in the mesosphere. The sky was still blue, but in that just after sunset deep blue sort of way. I won't forget the image anytime soon. When we got home I instantly Google news searched "meteor los angeles" and found nothing. Was I crazy? Had I imagined it? Only late today did I find something confirming the fact that a fireball did fall in California. Interestingly, there was also a huge meteor spotted over Scandinavia on Saturday night and another over San Francisco late last night. Are we passing through the asteroid belt? Is the universe welcoming our new president with fireworks? Or, can we expect the old ho-hum cataclysmic impact at any second?
Stay tuned...

1 Comments:

Blogger pigatschmo said...

Amazing. Seems to accentuate this strange time of transition. Many simultaneous changes in my life and in the world.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home