Thursday, May 03, 2012

Munch & Monk...






I was walking along a path with two friends - the sun was setting - suddenly the sky turned blood red - I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence - there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city. My friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety - and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature.












At this time the fashion is to bring something to jazz that I reject. They speak of freedom. But one has no right, under pretext of freeing yourself, to be incoherent. There’s a new idea that consists in destroying everything and find what’s shocking and unexpected; whereas I know we must first of all tell a story that anyone can understand.

2 Comments:

Blogger kmoomo said...

Thank you for this background on Munch and his painting that stemmed from this experience -- I found it VERY interesting. Regarding Munk's comment on jazz, I couldn't agree more!

2:46 PM  
Blogger kmoomo said...

Sorry, meant Monk, not Munk.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home