Saturday, December 30, 2006

Finals Week...















The seven days between Christmas and New Years are always the first to be blotted away from my memory in the new year. In fact, this week is one that really should be remembered. It boldly steps out of the daily grind of the other 51 weeks in the calandar and brings with it tremendous turmoil and cleansing. The great tsunami of Dec. 26, 2004 is probably the best example of the death, destruction, and deck-clearing that goes on in this final week of the year. Saddam Hussein's execution is another good example.

But on a personal level, I find there is always something profound that occurs during this week. Family matters figure in heavily - the bellies are full, the hangovers are real, the frictions mount, old scabs are torn away so fresh blood can run amok. For me, on top of some minor family matters, I also lost someone this week. A best friend's mother who was very influential to me as a boy. She was a brightly burning uranium bar when it came to her powers of belief. It was incredible to have that example sear itself into me at a young and impressionable age. She was a very devout Christian, and at times she could be a slight bible thumper, but honestly, that was never really an issue. I respected her belief. What really mattered was the magnificent light and love that poured out of this woman. The kindness and spiritual challenges she offered to my family and me. I'm so sad to know she's gone, but I will say that if anyone was prepared to move on to another world it was her. I wish her family all the love and strength they deserve in this trying time. I'm sure she's busy right now keeping James Brown, Gerald Ford and Saddam Hussein on their toes.

On another note, if you're looking for a (nearly) great movie, Powell & Pressburger's Stairway to Heaven (aka A Matter of Life and Death) is definitely worth a look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home