Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ode to the Moka...



In honor of the first cup of coffee I've had in many months, I thought I'd dedicate this post to what I've just learned is called the Moka pot. We're all familiar with this little knight in dull armor, even if we had no clue about its name. I was touched that Wikipedia's entry included a picture of the Moka with its ubiquitous melted handle drip - a design flaw that delivers more charm than annoyance. I also learned that you should not use soap when cleaning your Moka as it will remove the coat of oily coffee residue left inside. This thin layer protects the coffee from contact with the aluminum wall, which might otherwise give a slight metallic taste to the coffee.

The Moka was patented by Alfonso Bialetti in 1933, the same year my father was born. Both seem to be holding up well and are busier than ever (melts and scratches be damned).

1 Comments:

Blogger pigatschmo said...

That would be the NYC subway of coffee makers -- gritty & harsh with lots of rattling nuts & bolts. I've always preferred the French press -- elegant low technology, and if I'm not mistaken closer to the drink's Arabic origins...

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home