Monday, September 25, 2006

The Pros and Cons of Bullfighting...



I'm so torn about this bloodsport it's ridiculous. If I was a politician I would be hogtied and dragged through the streets for all of my flip-flopping on the subject. Who wants to see a beautiful, defenseless animal that is peaceful by nature be cadged into a frenzy and then slowly, brutally murdered while others cheer? I do... Or rather, I want to embrace the pageantry, the conflict, and the brutality - the metaphorical suffering - without owning up to the actual suffering. The way I see it, a world in which bullfighting exists as a bold comment on civilization is far more compelling, agitating, and complete as a span of culture, than one without. I suppose I'm a lefty progressive at heart, but I can't stomach a world in which frustrated liberals systematically defang the planet as if their agenda, their template for reality, was so much better.

What I'd really like to see is a level playing field and a more metaphorical death in the sport. Something closer to sumo wrestling, where the matador's job is to stay in a small ring while being sized up by a procession of successively more terrifying animals of all sorts: capibaras, maribous, spider monkeys, giraffes, dogs, baby elefants, baby cobras, zebras, bulls, crocodiles, silverback gorrillas, manta rays, tigers, and of course, the most dangerous animal of all hippopotamuses. That would be something to see.

("Corrida" by Lisa Alisa - read her refreshingly clear take here.)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bull fighting really is so difficult to comment on! i have to speak about it for ten minutes for my A Level oral piece (i dont know if u are english, but A is the level before degree in simple terms, so its gota be good points!!) can you help me think of, say, five pros and five cons of the sport i think im set against! hehe. it would be greatly appreciated if you could! thanks! :)
email me at aeimz_2002@hotmail.com

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like to pull down my pants dip my balls in peanut butter & let my chihuahua lick it off

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, stephen, This is Mr. Dean and I don't like what you and your friends have been writing about people on this website.The Library has shown this to me from the laptop under your name and I will talk to you on Monday about this.

Mr. Dean

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you suck my big bull horn u dickless biotch

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey bbz, how y'all doing? Asl? Ttyl luv y SHylo ;) comin' at ya

1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mira cara culo cabron watch ur fukin mouth or ima take a deizel shit in it

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your train

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered offering yourself up, instead of the bull? Now that would be great sport!

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home