Thursday, May 14, 2009

I grok Spock...



But I didn't grok with this new Star Trek movie at all. Where were the timeless universal ideas explored in ways that resonated after the credits rolled? Where was the lovable bogusness of the tv show that served to remind us that Star Trek isn't about space, it's about being a human, as in - Where shall we boldly go? The new movie is a fun ride, sure, but I thought it could have operated on a few layers rather than its steady stream of noisy action, like a black hole sucking everything along its path at light speed. Where are the quiet moments? Personally, I would have awarded the franchise to Wes Anderson and I would have made damn sure that he didn't get too cute. At least Anderson would have understood what was appealing about the tv show and let the story emerge from the characters.

2 Comments:

Blogger Louise said...

I agree that it was big and noisy and difficult to find humanity in. But I enjoyed the fantasy/back story of how those familiar faces met each other.

It would have been better without Nero as such a big, bad guy. When did our enemies become so, so, OBVIOUS?

In my life, the enemy is much more subtle. How about yours?

10:04 PM  
Blogger Zen Cone said...

agree with you. did not grok with this either.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home