Monday, March 29, 2010

The Times is rough...



In the market for a new newspaper. Not even a definitive one, since you generally need three or four sources to even begin to cobble a sense of what's happening in the world. But I've always started with a base coat of NYTimes because of its "paper of record" status and also out of nostalgia for my home state.

But look at this "above the fold" home page. Where is the news? I understand that times are rough, but is pimping out your prime real estate to garish advertising and a self-promotional video (that doesn't even load properly) really the solution?

Don't even get me started on the "voice" of the Times. Some of the hard reporting is ok, but a majority of the paper assumes that humanity's sole purpose is to live on Park Avenue and have endless disposable income to spend on cute tchotchkes and trips to places with great boutique shops. It's so offensive that I read on purely for the thrill of seeing how I'll be offended next.

Interestingly, the paper I've spent years making fun of, The Los Angeles Times, at least has a less cluttered website that delivers actual news, mostly unadorned with passing fashions and panderings to an obsessive adult cult of cool.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Moe said...

I hate how everything is like that these days (even online dictionaries)... there is no way to escape the advertisements!

2:44 PM  
Anonymous HuwG said...

Have you considered reading Flat Earth News?

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home